Sunday 19 April 2015

Messing around with landscaping

So landscaping, or Topography as it is called in Revit, is easily the most annoying and finicky thing to work with. It's a pretty big pain to get it to look exactly the way you want, but it is worth it in the end.


In this render you can see that I've done some rough work on the landscaping and have added a driveway, this is all mainly for showing off the concept, the final driveway and landscaping will look quite a bit different I'm sure. As you can see I've also started on a master bedroom, that too is in the fairly rough stage and will probably change a lot. For the curved section of the master bedroom roof I used a segment of a circle to define the curve. On the other curved roof section, I used a spline, which is a curved line that you can define using several points put in different places called control vertices.


A spline gives you a lot of freedom, and it has many uses. But in this case I think I may want to stick to the more symmetrical circle segment for all curved parts of the roof, it just looks better to me.

I have a few more things I would like to add to this house, the bedrooms and bathroom on top of the garage, and a small walkout basement in the back. After those have been finished I can start focusing on the details of house and I can start furnishing the interior. In the interest of time, I probably won't furnish the garage (or I'll just throw in a model of a car there or something) nor the bedrooms (although I will furnish the master bedroom).


For my next post I think I'll try to explain some more theory and show some cool things you can do with Revit.

2 comments:

  1. The house is starting to look real. I continue to find the design stylish and beautiful, but I'm also wondering about function. The use of light seems very functional, but what about the flatter sections of roof? I'm not knowledgeable about this, but I'm wondering about load and drainage when it comes to snow and rain. Maybe I'm only thinking about it since the rain is driving into my windows this long weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flat sections do actually have a enough slant to them to allow rain drainage, it just doesn't look that way from this angle. Snow, on the other hand, would pose a larger problem and those roof sections would likely need to be fairly reinforced. I'll be making another post soon talking about the functional shortcomings of the current design.

      Delete